Monday, November 9, 2009

Today I Woke Up With A Massive Jolt! So Sad....

Some of you may know from following my blog, that I lived in the group home ending 2 1/2 years ago. I lived in an all female group home for 5 years. The reason I am telling you all this is that there was a fire in my old group home and one person died. Here is the link my friend Daria e-mailed me early this morning: http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2009/11/08/11679271.html.

There are few details given but I may have known this person. I am so sad. What a jarring way to wake up in the morning! I mean I was just using my S.A.D lamp and checking my e-mails as I always do in the morning. This has totally caught me off guard. I did want to know this information but how sad it is. How sad it must be for all the women living there to have suddenly lost a resident who wasn't expected to die!

How sad it is that as I have heard today that the residents are not allowed back into the group home because the damage is so severe...

I am still in contact with my outreach worker and the coordinator, both, who worked at the home. I don't even know how to get in contact with anyone by phone now. They were great support for me and other past residents.

I will have to send an email of my condolences. But then maybe I should just let them recover. I don't even know what to do. What does one do when there is nothing you can do to fix a situation?

The Anglican Diocese in Ottawa is taking donations of clothes and apparently cigarettes. I'm not sure what else but you can call 613-232-7124 for more details.

I keep thinking how would I have survived if I was living in the group home when this tragedy happened. I can't imagine what the women are going through now. How does one cope. I mean the staff are very supportive and will offer tons of support. But how do you get over the fear and grieve after your home has caught fire and someone had to die?

So, yeah, I'm kind of walking around in a daze today.

I do hope that all the women and staff can heal and move on with there lives. Hopefully soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment