Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Starting With Baby Steps Is An Excellent Confidence Booster!

I have been making slow progress in the personal rehabilitation off my isolation kick at home.

Yesterday Kerri offered to drive me to my volunteer job. This was a noooo way! But then I asked her if she would drive me to exercise class which is run by the people I volunteer with and in the same building. Kerri and agreed to do this and to wait around until I was done to drive me home again. I am sooo eternally grateful of this!

So, after missing 5 weeks of Monday classes (2 of those were holidays anyway), I made an appearance and did my whole routine (except only 10 minutes of walking on the treadmill and not the full 15). My trainer Dana didn't want me pushing myself to fast considering I told her I had done no exercise in the past 5 weeks....

Another baby step I did this morning at 6:30am was, I offered to drive Kerri to pick up her school bus. I had been refusing to drive Kerri to pick up her bus being afraid of having an accident because of my depression. I feared that my reaction time was slower due to this and the calming remedy that seems to be making me foggier these days.

Well it was only 6:30am. I woke up with only a manageable amount of anxiety and had not yet needed to take my prn day dose of calming remedy. So, I figured early morning was the best time. Plus, I am a morning person and Kerri had to leave for work around that time anyway.

School bus drivers start early! Well, some of them I guess. We weren't the only one's in the yard and driving about.

Kerri is very happy now because she can park both her car and bus at home again in our three car drive-way. Kerri usually has her bus at home but sometimes has to take time off and so she takes her bus back to the yard to get another driver to do her route.

Now, my honey can save time by coming straight home from working her split shift every day with her bus. She only needs to go the the bus yard to gas up and hand in paper work.

So, I did OK driving even though the sun was not completely out of bed and even despite there being a light rain.

I was nervous at one point when I was at a red light and the garbage truck in front of me wanted to back up and put on his back-up sound! I couldn't back up because there was a school bus behind me! Kerri was already in her bus but near me still at this point. I was following her home as we live only a five minute commute from the bus yard. She said she was a bit worried that I would panic... Lot's to think about when you are driving.

Kerri assured me that buses and trucks can see cars behind them and wouldn't squash me, lol...good to know!

Today, I still feel like resting at home. I knew Kerri reaaally wanted her bus home so I challenged myself and did it....I will be OK though, in baby steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment