Friday, October 16, 2009

Getting Honest - Being Out Of The Closet Rocks!

Eleven months ago, I came out to my family and friends. I told them I was bisexual or bi-curious because at that time I wasn't even sure. I believed I was still maybe into men.

Coming out was truly the best thing that I could have done for myself and I am sooo happy being a lesbian and in a same sex relationship with Kerri. We started dating 6 months ago and have been living together for the past 3.

I am happy to hold hands with Kerri in public and kiss her. No one has said anything or made an issue of me or us being in a same-sex relationship. This was my fear - discrimination. I'm not saying that discrimination is no longer out there floating around in Ottawa or elsewhere because it is. I am just saying that things are so much better now then they were in the past.

More and more people are coming out of the closet and being honest about who they love. If families don't approve if the sexual orientation of their son or daughter or even with there wish to change genders there are more and more outlets for people to get support. There are about 4 different lesbian centres in Ottawa. We have 3 Gay Bars. There are support centres and on-ling forums. So in other words there is much more choice these days and it's waaaaay awesome. But still we need to work on non-judgement and acceptance...

Kerri and I just got finished watching - If These Walls Could Talk 2. It was a sad movie, at times, and portrayed 3 stories of lesbian relationships from the 60s to the year 2000. But I liked this movie especially the 1st story as seen here in an 8 minute trailer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rta-eKMxifk&feature=related

In this story there is a lot of discrimination. The storyline takes place during the 60s. During the begining the women are watching a movie in the theatre. They are holding hands but when they leave the theatre they pretend they don't even know each other...so sad.

I have a male friend who has been in a same sex relationship for 5 years now and is living in Ottawa. He is still uncomfortable to show any sort of affection i.e even holding hands in public for fear of being judged. I do think men have it harder then females and this saddens me. I wish everyone could be as happy as I feel with Kerri and not be afraid of being judged!

Everyone has a right to be happy in a same sex relationship. Gays/ Lesbians/ Bisexuals/ Transgenders have feelings just as heterosexuals. I have dated plenty of men who were like my best friends but I felt empty inside trying to conform to the norm while thinking something was wrong with me because I was never in love with them. I didn't even enjoy being close to men.

Kerri is my first love, truly. She is also my 1st lesbian relationship and I have come to realize that there was nothing ever wrong with me. I realize I needed to be with a female the whole time. This is where I'm at and I am sooo happy! I am happy to live in Ontario where it is legal to marry in a same sex relationship. I'm happy that my family has been totally cool with me being lesbian and with Kerri. I'm happy that I have something to be happy about even though I am depressed most of the time these days....

I look forward to my future because I still believe that I will be well one day....and I will live a great life :-D!

No comments:

Post a Comment