Sunday, September 6, 2009

Pets And Engevita Yeast...


I did it! I drove on the Queensway today (Ottawa's intercity highway)!

I have driven on the Queensway before but in the last year I have been so scared of driving especially on the Queensway that I would get nervous because of the on-ramp. There you have a herd of cars coming at you at 100 km an hour and you have to merge in front of them before your lane may quickly end! Luckily I have a long on-ramp going on near home and coming back there were no cars in the merge lane (phew!). Kerri was with me. I had at first told her that I wanted to drive with her today but not on the highway. It would have been at least a half hour ride away if we didn't take that highway. She had that look of 'You are NOT going the slow way are you?', lol. I quickly decided that since I promised to try the highway out on Sunday when their was less traffic, then today was my day to do so!

Since we did take the Queensway it took us only about half that time to go to the Herb & Spice on Wellington. That is the only place or location in Ottawa that I can find the cat's Engevita Yeast! (****not anymore - see update at bottom) If you tell the cashier at Herb & Spice you are buying Engevita Yeast for your cat (or dog) they are clueless but curious as to why. I buy it because it is used to keep the fleas away (fleas had the new taste of the animals dander apparently) and it also makes cats and dogs hypoallergenic! The latter I have tested on 2 people with cat allergies and it seems to work like a charm!


Engevita Yeast (or engivita yeast which is identical) tastes like cheesy popcorn or something. It is just B Vitamins and completely safe for cats/ dogs although I can't find any literature to back up my claims (my past therapist's hubby did the research and it's basically word of mouth as far as I can tell).

All you need to do is sprinkle it on the dog or cat's food 2x a day. You can sprinkle it on hard or soft food. Our cats had only hard food. Some pets like it and some don't. I'm not sure that Bob and Tate like it but Speckle loves it! She'll lick it off your fingers, lol. Regardless I have never had a cat refuse it...

Also, it does not work as well on long haired cats as far as people having allergies to a cat but it works better then it did before we tried it in my experience....

If not all the cats/ dogs in the household are eating it then people who do have allergies will still get a reaction even from only one of the multiple pets as the dander will be everywhere.

For people with cat allergies, Engivita Yeast works best on short haired cats (from testing it myself and chatting on people who are allergic) although it still works better then no Engivita Yeast on long haired cats too....

 Also I think if someone is allergic then having a cat or dog that you are allergic too is not wise even if using the yeast. The reason being is that what if you go on holidays and your pet sitter does not use it then what do you do, come home and get rid of the pet???? My past pet sitter was afraid to use the yeast for fear Speckle would expand but Engevita yeast is not Brewer's Yeast, lol. It's inactive yeast and she is only a 9 pound cat who has been using it for 2 years!

There is another yeast more widely available called Nutritional Yeast. Nutritional Yeast has the same ingredients as Engevita Yeast and if you ask for Engevita Yeast they may hand you Nutritional Yeast. My 'source' has told me that these products are completely different due to the way they are processed. So Nutritional Yeast does not help with fleas or allergies.

Also, some vets have heard of the benefits of Engevita Yeast for animals, while others look at you with a blank look on their face...

I would like to see if our cats are still causing allergy problems for our house visitors (anyone with cat allergies) in about a month. In one month Bob and Tate will have hopefully eaten enough of the yeast to make an impact as it takes 6-8 weeks before you can really tell if it's working....Speckle is waaaay ahead :-P.

******UPDATE - I cannot find Engivita yeast in Ottawa so only get it at Amazon.ca with Everland

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    You have a nice blog. Cat allergies are one of the worst pet allergies to suffer and I did suffer. I did find out that http://www.allergiestocatsrelief.com proves one of the best website for cat allergy relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I like engevita yeast because its natural. Homeopathy helps me with the seasonal allergies I use to have.

    ReplyDelete